Magee TV Diverse Screenwriters Mentorship Award
The Magee TV Diverse Screenwriters Mentorship Award presented by the Toronto Screenwriting Conference is a mentorship and bursary program designed for diverse screenwriters. The awards were created to help emerging and mid-level screenwriters from diverse backgrounds attend the 2017 Toronto Screenwriting Conference. This opportunity will give bursary recipients the opportunity to expand their network, sharpen their professional skills, work with established screenwriting professionals and producers, all with an aim at bringing new perspectives to Canada’s creative industries.
Five diverse screenwriters from across Canada will be awarded. The award provides each winner with a complimentary registration to the eighth annual Toronto Screenwriting Conference (TSC) (April 22–23, 2017), plus an exclusive dinner with Magee TV Founder, Al Magee, and a three-month mentorship (total of five one-hour meetings, conducted in-person or remotely through Skype, or phone) with senior Canadian screenwriting professionals.
Up to five (5) applicants will be selected on the basis of the following four materials:
1) One concept for an original series or feature film
2) One writing sample
3) A letter of interest and intent
4) A letter of reference
The goals of the awards are:
- To give the opportunity for diverse screenwriters to attend the 2017 Toronto Screenwriting Conference free of cost, giving them access to the programs and events at one of North American’s leading conferences for creative professionals
- To connect with and receive mentorship from Al Magee, Founder of Magee TV, and a leading senior screenwriting professional
- To connect experienced Canadian television professionals with rising screenwriting talent
- To give the opportunity for screenwriters to enhance and elevate their projects, actively contributing to an improved creative Canadian landscape
*Definition of diversity for the purposes of the application: Applicants are encouraged to apply as diverse candidates based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and physical abilities.
Monday, March 27, 2017 at 5:00pm EST.
Emerging and mid-level screenwriters must apply to the Program with an original concept for a television series, or feature film.
- Be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, or Landed Immigrant
- Must not be enrolled in any full-time school or university program
- Must have ownership of creative rights, and be able to demonstrate proof of original concept
- Must be available to attend the Toronto Screenwriting Conference (April 22–23), in Toronto (please note we are unable to cover the costs of travel)
- Must be able to attend the dinner with Al Magee, Founder of Magee TV (Scheduled for the weekend of the conference)
Applicants are asked to include the following information in the form of a complete package. Please note that incomplete packages will NOT be reviewed by the jury.
Please provide the following enclosures in your application:
- Completed Application Form (Including Signature), with declaration of ownership
- A letter of interest outlining why this opportunity will help you with your career
(maximum of 1 page)
- A curriculum vitae that includes screen credits, relevant education and training
- A two-page synopsis that describes your original concept, story, characters, genre, format and target audience (maximum of 2 pages)
- Writing Sample: One (1) original TV-series, or feature film script
- A reference letter from a recognized industry professional
Applicants are asked to submit their full application package via email to: email@example.com
When collating your application, please ensure that you submit your package in three PDFS.
1) Completed Application Form, 2) Enclosures: Letter of Interest, CV, two-page synopsis, reference letter, 3) Writing Sample
Award winners will be notified of selection by Monday, April 10, 2017.
Magee TV Inc. and Toronto Screenwriting Conference would like to thank you for your submission. Only those selected to receive the Magee TV Diverse Screenwriters Mentorship Award will be contacted.